Skate Maintenance Session

Feel free to talk everything new member related here - newbies, this is your space!
Shootin Annie

Re: Skate Maintenance Session

Post by Shootin Annie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Pukeahontas wrote:So I was planning on tagging along this Sunday, but have just realised I've no skates with me and won't be heading home to get them before Sunday.

What a numpty!!!
This is no problem - I'm sure someone will share and let you clean some of their bearings (I can always bring a set of my own manky bearings for you to clean :gmcrazy:). You'll still learn how to maintain your own skates once you get them back!

Shootin Annie

Post by Shootin Annie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 am

This is today, my lovelies! See you guys at 1:30! X

Suicide Booth

Post by Suicide Booth » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:14 pm

THANK YOU FOR THIS

It was awesome, though I have killed one of my bearings, that'll teach me for being so heavy handed.

Shootin Annie

Post by Shootin Annie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

No problem - I enjoyed meeting you guys :D

I might actually have a spare Bones Red bearing that you can have - I'll dig out my bag o'spares and see what I've got.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything we talked about today!

x

Pukeahontas

Post by Pukeahontas » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

MAHOOSIVE thanks to Shooty and Sunny for organising this :)

It was nice to meet folks and a big thanks to Euan for letting me use one of his skates!

Puke x

All Star Reserves Bench Coach

Squeak

Post by Squeak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Yes, thank you for the session! It was pretty satisfying replacing that weird orange goop in my bearings with something less disgusting looking :D And I'm sure I skated faster afterwards...

Shootin Annie

Post by Shootin Annie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:13 am

Hi guys,

I promised to send you links where to get the squishy cushions to make your skates turnier.

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... ag6i799pu5

If you have R3s, you will want 8 barrel cushions. These are a direct swap from the red ones that come with your skates. I would recommend getting a set of 8 yellow cushions (the second ones down on the list) to start out with, but you will probably eventually want to move to blue ones once you get used to the added turniness! I will be happy to help you swap out your cushions if you can catch me on a Sunday (or you can bribe me with beer and I'd be happy to meet you at a pub or something!)

Also, you can get cool coloured axle nuts from Billy's here:

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... ag6i799pu5

Sunny Sheeba

Post by Sunny Sheeba » Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Dear All.

There will be a Fresh Meat Skate Maintenance Session taking place on Sunday 10th June 2012 at Jack Kane between 1.15 - 2.30 pm. We will meet in reception at 1.15pm.

Shootin' Annie will be hosting the event and she has suggested the following;

For those of you coming along, it would be useful if you could bring a few things:

Solvent. Citrus cleaner, rubbing alcohol, white spirit, etc. Citrus cleaner is probably the friendliest, with the least nasty fumes. If you don't have any, or would rather not carry around a bottle of nasty nasty around with you, I have a big bottle of industrial methylated spirits from my work that I will bring with to share.

Bearing Oil. Bones Speed Cream is the shizzle, but you can use any bearing oil, and apparently sewing machine oil works a treat if you've got it. I've got a bottle I can share, but it can also be had at Route One on Cockburn St if you want your own.

Small flat-bottomed dish/jar/tupperware. Something to clean your bearings in.

Hairdryer. I'll be bringing one along, but if we could get a couple more, that would be grand.

Various other stuff that I will supply: I'll bring along some old newspapers and kitchen roll. I also find rubber gloves handy for cleaning bearings, as you don't really want solvent on your hands, so I'll bring along a supply of these too. Chopsticks are handy for swooshing your bearings around in the solvent, and for fishing them out - not sure if I have any at home, but a fork will do as well.

And remember your skates and your skate tools!!Hope to see you all there!

Sunny x

Thudley Moore

Post by Thudley Moore » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 am

Can I gatecrash this session, please? I'll be at rec practice from 11am-1pm on Sunday, so can join in after that.

I know I should know what I'm doing with my skates by now, but I just never clean them, which can't be good!

Thud xx

Shootin Annie

Post by Shootin Annie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:59 am

YES, please do! :gbanana:

I'm going to send out a reminder about this now.

x