Skate Maintenance Session

Feel free to talk everything new member related here - newbies, this is your space!
Andy Clockwise

Re: Skate Maintenance Session

Post by Andy Clockwise » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Better count me in too then... I'm equally as guilty and running on the same stuff since my fresh meat! Should we use one of those isolation cabinets with the gloves built into the window? :shock:
Officials Committee

Ok... If we get caught, pretend we don't speak English

Pukeahontas

Post by Pukeahontas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:02 am

I'm in too! My skates remain unmaintained (however relatively new and currently unused!)

Puke x

All Star Reserves Bench Coach

Sunny Sheeba

Post by Sunny Sheeba » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Dear All.

Just a quick reminder about the Fresh Meat Skate Maintenance Session taking place this Sunday 22nd January at the meeting room upstairs at Jack Kane between 1.30 - 2.30 pm.

Shootin' Annie will be hosting the event and she has suggested the following;

For those of you coming along, it would be useful if you could bring a few things:

Solvent. Citrus cleaner, rubbing alcohol, white spirit, etc. Citrus cleaner is probably the friendliest, with the least nasty fumes. If you don't have any, or would rather not carry around a bottle of nasty nasty around with you, I have a big bottle of industrial methylated spirits from my work that I will bring with to share.

Bearing Oil. Bones Speed Cream is the shizzle, but you can use any bearing oil, and apparently sewing machine oil works a treat if you've got it. I've got a bottle I can share, but it can also be had at Route One on Cockburn St if you want your own.

Small flat-bottomed dish/jar/tupperware. Something to clean your bearings in.

Hairdryer. I'll be bringing one along, but if we could get a couple more, that would be grand.

Various other stuff that I will supply: I'll bring along some old newspapers and kitchen roll. I also find rubber gloves handy for cleaning bearings, as you don't really want solvent on your hands, so I'll bring along a supply of these too. Chopsticks are handy for swooshing your bearings around in the solvent, and for fishing them out - not sure if I have any at home, but a fork will do as well.

And remember your skates and your skate tools!!

Hope to see you all there!

Sunny x

Circuit Breaker

Post by Circuit Breaker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Gah, ill be training then (unless I'm not fit enough from the day before)
but i can bring a spare hair dryer as i recall there is usually never enough of them.

Hymen Trouble

Post by Hymen Trouble » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Ugh I have to work!! Every time we do skate maint. i am working :gmeyesout:
PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND SKATE

Andy Clockwise

Post by Andy Clockwise » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Not gonna be able to make it now. Sorry. I was looking forward to seeing what lurked inside my bearings after over a year and a half... it'll just have to wait till next time. lol

Have fun!
Officials Committee

Ok... If we get caught, pretend we don't speak English

Shootin Annie

Post by Shootin Annie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 am

For those that can't make it, I've been thinking about writing up a short tutorial illustated with PHOTOS. It's really very easy - I'll try to get this done soon.

x

Sunny Sheeba

Post by Sunny Sheeba » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm sure there will be more opportunities for a skate maintenance session, this was mostly aimed at Fresh Meat and that's why its on a Sunday.

Maybe we could sort something else out another time if Hooty would be up for hosting, I'm happy to hold it in my house as long as its less than 10 folk....I have large windows for ventilation. Maybe sometime in February or March?

Sunny x

Shootin Annie

Post by Shootin Annie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm

I would be up for this!

Pukeahontas

Post by Pukeahontas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 pm

So I was planning on tagging along this Sunday, but have just realised I've no skates with me and won't be heading home to get them before Sunday.

What a numpty!!!

All Star Reserves Bench Coach