Plough Stops: HELP?!

Feel free to talk everything new member related here - newbies, this is your space!
Evergreen

Plough Stops: HELP?!

Post by Evergreen » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:26 pm

So I just can't seem to do plough stops (okay well I can, just not yet)...
I just don't stop
I just fall
It bothers me that I can basically do everything else so far just fine, and yet I'm not managing to get one of the first things we were taught right...

Can anyone please give advice tips pointers exercises or anything?

Would be much appreciated

Thanks

Dee Dee

Re: Plough Stops: HELP?!

Post by Dee Dee » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:55 pm

what wheels do you have? Very very sticky wheeels stop the slide you need to plow
Communications [All the facebook], All Stars LUM, Coach, Sponsorship member, Lots of random other things

J.Gow

Post by J.Gow » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Just keep practicing! You need a lot of very specific muscles in order to do plow stops that you don't really use when doing anything else so it takes time to build up the strength you need.
Communications Committee - Merch design - ARRG members shop

Pummela

Post by Pummela » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Yep, practising constantly. I learned to T-stop before I could plow (coz I'm a weirdo) but I have a dodgy hip so strengthening and working on flexibility of the hip area will definitely help. Leg lifts and resistance bands off skates are good. Or keep your skates on for the weight to make it harder :mrgreen:
FunCom
Cherry Bomber

Just keep pumming...

emKa

Post by emKa » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 pm

I couldn't do them for a long time as well and like Pum T-stops were no bother :) but I'd say think which muscles you need to use to do it, and practice practice practice, it's good to practice on different kind of floor/surface if you have a chance. you will nail it at some point :)
/skater/ coach / NSO / first aider/ ref /

[she/her]

PowerHouse

Post by PowerHouse » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 am

If you are stable enough on your skates, I found the best thing EVER to get the feel/stance right was to have someone push you (gently!) along the track (I'll help you on Sunday). Then, you plow. You will fall over. You will realise you need to be lower. You will realise where your feet need to be to get that "slide" that DD mentioned. It helped me a lot.

And, all the other points above are also extremely relevant and important too :)
Coach type, Banana Skids Detective Agency

Don't mind any gender pronouns <3