Rule of the Fortnight - False Start vs Illegal Positioning

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Rule of the Fortnight - False Start vs Illegal Positioning

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Hello pals!

This relates to a penalty given yesterday that 3 people have already asked me about, so I thought I'd do a Rule of the Fortnight to elaborate on exactly what happened!

So - here's what happened. A jammer happened to be full over the jam line when the whistle went. She was issued an illegal procedure penalty: Illegal Positioning.

But wait, isn't that a false start?

No! There is a difference between false starting and having 'illegal positioning'. As the rules show:
3.2.8 - Skaters who line up fully in bounds but in an illegal starting position (while touching their legal starting area) are considered to have committed a False Start, and will receive a False Start warning.
Ok, so we all know this. But the key here is 'touching their legal starting area'. This jammer was fully over the line - so a different rule applies:
3.2.7 - Skaters who line up completely outside of their legal starting area (but fully inside the track boundary) will be issued a penalty (see Section 5.13.8).

5.13.8 - Illegal Positioning: A Skater who commits a False Start (see Section 3.2.7) by touching completely outside of their legal starting area (but fully inside the track boundary) at the jam-starting whistle. Each Skater who violates this rule shall receive a penalty, even if this includes more than one Skater from the same team.
You don't get a chance to yield because you are so far out of position it is deemed immediately penalty worthy.

For blockers: if you line up ANYWHERE outwith the pivot and jammer lines, you will get this penalty.
For jammers: if you line up ANYWHERE within the jammer and pivot lines, you will get this penalty.

Makes sense, right? Hopefully!

You can help Rule of the Week/Fortnight/Month/Whenever Mags isn't writing essays, refereeing, or is inundated with questions worth discussing! Please fill in my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BNB6M5J
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Tartan_Tearaway

Re: Rule of the Fortnight - False Start vs Illegal Positioni

Post by Tartan_Tearaway » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Thanks for this! :zebra: :vv:
Bout Management (stall coordinator) and First Aid Committee

I'm build for comfort, I aint built for speed

Mags Payne

Re: Rule of the Fortnight - False Start vs Illegal Positioni

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:40 pm

You're welcome! It's not one you see often, so I was quite excited when it happened :D Immediately filed away to be posted here!
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.