Rule of the Week - FREE FOR ALL #2

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Rule of the Week - FREE FOR ALL #2

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:59 am

Believe it or not, it's 3 months since the last rule of the week free for all (I posted it May 13th!).

Since we've got a bunch of new skaters, loads of games have happened and generally it's been exciting, now's the time to ask anything that you're unclear on or want to know.

Basically, hello, we are your officials, ASK US ANYTHING #2

(And remember, there are no stupid questions!)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Legs11

Re: Rule of the Week - FREE FOR ALL #2

Post by Legs11 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Mags is it possible to have rule of the week as rule of the fortnight instead?

The info you send out is AMAZING and really useful, but it's hard to digest as it comes thick and fast!! It would give you a wee break in between too so you don't burn out.

Just a thought - I often have to 'file' them for future reading when I have busy weeks, and before I know it the next one pops in my in box!

They are great sources of info, and they are really easy to understand so thanks. Just wondered if anyone else struggled to get through them so regularly.
Coach / WFTDA Director

[she/her]

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 am

Fortnightly works for me if it works for everyone - and don't you worry, I'm not going to run out of rules topics to chat about ;)

(Genuinely thought I'd replied to this yesterday, but apparently not!!)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

LuPaul

Post by LuPaul » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 am

Yeah, I have to agree with fortnightly probably being better! There has been a number of times where I haven't looked as thoroughly as I'd like to 'cause I just haven't had time, and then the other one appears...so ya, I agree! Also agree that they are excellent and thank you!
I do things for Communications.
And some other shiz, yo.

BA Humbug

Post by BA Humbug » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Since I'm back at work, fortnightly would be great, thanks.
Rules question:
If I'm the bead, 10 ft between the front and rear pack and the front pack moves forward but the rear pack stays where it is, what do I do? How do I prevent a destruction of the pack, or is it now the front and rear packs responsibility and it would be one of them who would get a penalty?

New skaters, Leaving skaters references, Dual membership co-ordinator, Membership changes & transferring skaters
ASR Bench

(She/her)

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:44 pm

BA Humbug wrote:If I'm the bead, 10 ft between the front and rear pack and the front pack moves forward but the rear pack stays where it is, what do I do? How do I prevent a destruction of the pack, or is it now the front and rear packs responsibility and it would be one of them who would get a penalty?
It depends on what the makeup of the halves of the pack is - basically, it's *everyone's* responsibility to reform the pack. That includes you. If the pack is destroyed (and it sounds like this isn't a destruction so no penalty there) and by moving forward you would reform the pack, it is up to you *and* the rear skaters to do so. If the rear is what would reform the pack, then it's up to them to move forward, however you should slow (up to a stop) to allow the pack to reform.

Some people seem to think that it's okay to continue blocking/skating as long as *one* person from your team makes an attempt to reform the pack - this is not true. After the 'no pack' warning:
During a No Pack situation, Skaters will be warned that there is no pack and will be penalized if they do not immediately attempt to reform the pack. For Skaters in the rear group, this includes stepping or skating in the counter-clockwise direction. For Skaters in the front group, this includes coasting, braking, or coming to a complete stop...Immediate Failure to Reform: After a warning, a failure to immediately attempt to reform a pack. If a pack is not immediately reformed, a penalty will go to one Blocker from each team, if the team has any Blockers who made no immediate effort to reform the pack. A Blocker who continues a block or initiates a new block after a No Pack situation is declared will be considered to be making no effort to reform.
So if someone in your team immediately reforms the pack, then that's actually ok. But if their attempt does *not* immediately reform the pack, penalties will be assessed. Immediately means after the no-pack warning, the ref will take a breath, then start handing out penalties.

Basically, unless the HR goes 'No pack...pack is here', immediately (as sometimes happens) then everyone should attempt to reform. You'd have to assess where the pack is most likely to reform, but everyone on track should be attempting to reform the pack :)

BA Humbug

Post by BA Humbug » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Cheers Mags
Mags Payne wrote:If a pack is not immediately reformed, a penalty will go to one Blocker from each team, if the team has any Blockers who made no immediate effort to reform the pack
So even if I've make an effort but the rest of my pack didn't, I would get the penalty? Is this because I am either the skater nearest to the refs or the skater closest to the other pack (but still not in the right place yet)?

New skaters, Leaving skaters references, Dual membership co-ordinator, Membership changes & transferring skaters
ASR Bench

(She/her)

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:08 pm

As long as you made an immediate attempt to reform the pack and fulfilled the conditions of what you need to do (as a foremost skater slow until stopped/as a rearmost skater, speed up until sprinting) then you won't get a penalty.