Rule of the Week - Duties of a Captain

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Rule of the Week - Duties of a Captain

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Hey pals,

With the home team captains being announced (congrats all!), I thought it would be a good time to chat through what the duties of a captain are (according to the rules! I appreciate there are other duties such as leading their team and being supportive and all that jazz :))

Timeouts and Official Reviews
1.7.1 - Each team is allowed three one-minute timeouts per game.

1.7.2 - To take a timeout, the Captain or Designated Alternate will signal the Officials to request a timeout. Officials will signal for the clock to stop.
To take your team time out, you signal with the appropriate hand signal to the officials. They will relay which team requires the time out to the inside (so it's marked off the whiteboard). You only have one minute - so don't waste time! Also remember you can't go into the bin to talk to the person there *or* have them come out of the bin.
1.11.1.1 - To request an Official Review, in between jams or immediately following the conclusion of the last jam of the period, the Captain or Designated Alternate will signal the Officials with the appropriate hand signal. Officials will signal for the clock to stop.

1.11.1.1.1 - The Official Period Clock will remain stopped for a minimum of 60 seconds.

1.11.1.2 - During the Official Review, the Head Referee will conference with both teams’ Captains and/or Designated Alternates.

1.11.1.3 - During the Official Review, the Captain and/or Designated Alternate requesting the review may request to have an Official's decision reviewed.
The appropriate hand signal is found in the officiating hand signals section of the WFTDA website. You can use official reviews to request a decision (usually a penalty, but also points that have been missed) is changed/overturned.
1.11.1.4 - If the Captain or Designated Alternate does not request that a decision be reviewed, they may use this 60-second period (see Section 1.11.1.1.1) as they please.
I've seen teams use the official review as a way of holding up the game/getting a final jam. However, this means you won't be able to have anything else reviewed for the rest of the period:
1.11.2.2 - If the Captain or Designated Alternate does not request review of a decision according to Section 1.11.1.4, or if upon review it was determined that no officiating error occurred, their team will not retain its Official Review.
If you use it, you can lose it!

Identification of your Captain
2.7.2 - The team Captain must visibly display a “C” on their uniform or arm. The team Captain’s Designated Alternate must visibly display an “A” on their clothing, uniform, or arm.

2.7.2.1 - If the Captain is not able to skate the remainder of the game due to expulsion, fouling out, injury, or emergency, the team has the option to name a new Captain.

2.7.2.1.1 - In the instances where the rules call for a Captain to serve a penalty, and a team has not designated a Captain, the team may designate a new Captain at that time. Only if the team refuses to designate a Captain, the Head Referee will select the Skater to be designated Captain for the remainder of the game and serve any applicable penalties.
Captains must be identified! Make it nice and clear, please :D Also, if your captain has to leave the game, you can name a new one. Captains have to serve penalties, so it's a good thing to name one instead of leaving it up to the officials!

Penalties the Captain Will Serve
5.13.10.2 - If a team’s non-skating bench staff enters the Penalty Box to communicate with a penalized Skater, this penalty will be issued to their team’s Captain.
I said above - don't enter the penalty box to speak to binned skaters. This is because the Captain will be assessed a penalty if a bench coach does it! (If a skater does it, they are the one that serves the penalty).
5.13.21 - Too many Skaters and/or team support staff in the designated team area. The penalty is issued to the Pivot at the time the penalty is determined. If there is no Pivot in that jam, the penalty is issued to the Captain in all circumstances.
Always good to do a quick head count ;)
5.13.23 - A Skater who has fouled out of a game interfering with play or the game beyond behavior expected from an audience member. This includes returning to the designated team area during the remainder of the game. This penalty is to be assessed to that Skater’s team’s Captain.

5.13.24 - An expelled Skater failing to leave the track or staging area, or returning to the track area after they have been expelled. This includes returning to the designated team area during the remainder of the game. This penalty is to be assessed to that Skater’s team’s Captain.
As Captain, you are seen as responsible for your team. Therefore if a fouled out skater interferes with the game (an example I HAVE SEEN is using a whistle in the crowd to cause confusion) or an expelled skater comes back to watch the game, then the Captain is the one to serve the penalty.
5.14.4 - The use of obscene, profane, or abusive language or gestures directed at an Official. If no one can be singled out as the offending part, but it is clearly coming from a Skater, this penalty will be issued to the corresponding Captain.
Please ensure your skaters don't swear at refs or NSOs. 1) Because you will serve a penalty. and 2) because we're volunteers who are giving our time so you can have fun on track! It's nice to be nice, after all.

For Delay of Game, the Captain basically serves *all* the penalties:
5.15.5 - Failure to field any Blockers for a jam, preventing a jam from beginning. Penalty will be assessed to the Captain.

5.15.6 - Failure to field any Blockers between the Pivot and Jammer Lines, preventing a pack from forming between the Pivot and Jammer Lines at the first legal opportunity. Penalty will be assessed to the Captain. If both teams fail to field any Blockers in this way, one penalty will be issued to each Captain.

5.15.7 - With one Jammer serving a penalty in the Penalty Box, a failure to field a Jammer for the next jam by the opposing team, preventing a jam from beginning. Penalty will be assessed to the Captain.

5.15.8 - Both teams failing to field a Jammer, preventing a jam from beginning. One penalty will be issued to each Captain.

5.15.9 - A team successfully requesting a team timeout when they have none remaining. Penalty will be assessed to the Captain.

5.15.10 - A Skater, having previously had the jam called off for injury, being on the track at the jam start before the allotted three jams required for the Skater to sit out have elapsed (see Section 9.3.1. The penalty should be issued to the Captain. If the Referee believes the injury presents a serious and immediate threat to the Skater or others, the Referee should immediately send the Skater back to their bench rather than waiting until the end of the line-up time.
Delay of game penalties are talked about in depth here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15283
5.16.10 - The use of obscene, profane, or abusive language or gestures directed at a mascot, announcer, audience member, or other event production individuals. If no one can be singled out as the offending party but it is clearly coming from a Skater, this penalty will be issued to the corresponding Captain.

5.16.11 - The excessive use of obscene, profane, or abusive language or gestures directed at an opponent, teammate, manager, coach, or other team support staff. If no one can be singled out as the offending party but it is clearly coming from a Skater, or if a team as a whole is being offensive (though no individual Skater’s offensive speech is considered “excessive”), this penalty will be assessed to the corresponding Captain.
See above for swearing! Don't be abusive to *anyone*! Even your teammates!
6.1.1.3.1 - A Captain who is assessed a penalty due to their role as Captain (for example, due to an illegal action committed by a bench manager) will serve the penalty as a Blocker as soon as they are able to serve a penalty in that position.
Be aware that even if your Captain *only* acts as a jammer, they *have* to serve these penalties as a blocker.
6.1.4 - If a penalty is committed by a Non-Skater (e.g., by a team’s bench staff), the penalty will be assessed to the Captain, unless otherwise specified. If such an action is committed during a jam in which the Captain is not skating, the Captain will serve the penalty beginning in the following jam.

6.1.5 - If a single penalty is committed by a group of teammates, or if no one single Skater can be identified as most responsible (including penalties committed during a jam), the penalty will be assessed to the team’s Pivot unless otherwise specified. If there is not a Pivot, it will go to the Captain.
The Pivot tends to get penalties for stuff that happens *on track*. But if there isn't one, the Captain is next in line there too. You can accumulate a LOT of penalties as a Captain!
6.2.5 - Penalized Captains and penalized Designated Alternates may not call a timeout from the Penalty Box. A request for a timeout or Official Review signaled to the Referees from a penalized Captain or a penalized Designated Alternates will not be granted.
Sadly, there's not much you can do from the bin. This is why it's a good idea to have a non-skating Alternate!

So now you've learned about all these penalties that you can get as Captain and how it can affect your ability to call a timeout. It can also lead to you being Fouled Out:
6.4.1 - Fouling Out: A Skater fouls out from the game when seven penalties have been assessed to that Skater.

6.4.1.1 - This includes penalties assessed to the Pivot or Captain for actions that other people committed
So if you're on 6 penalties and then your Bench Coach comes into the bin to talk to you, you will foul out :(
6.4.2.3.1 - Coaches and managers are held to the same standard of sporting behavior as Skaters. If a coach or manager is expelled, that team’s Captain will serve this time, but no penalty will be recorded for the Captain.
I saw this happen recently. You will serve a penalty time, but the Coach/Manager/Whoever will be expelled from the game. HOWEVER, you will not have this penalty noted down against your name :)

Other Responsibilities
9.2.2 - Captains are responsible for supplying medical personnel with their Skaters’ medical and/or emergency contact information as necessary.
For Home Season this may be different, but be aware if you are selected as Captain in future for external games! You will also be asked in the Captains' Meeting if any of your skaters are hard of hearing or have any medical conditions that the referees should be aware of - best to find this out before the game!

Finally, remember what the WFTDA defines the Captain as:
Captain- The Skater identified to speak for the team.
So congratulations and good luck, Captains! And remember, Home Season is about FUN and LEARNING, so if you have any questions don't hesistate to ask :)

:zebra:
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Katy

Re: Rule of the Week - Duties of a Captain

Post by Katy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:45 am

At MEC, I saw bench managers going into the bin and speaking to skaters, but during time outs and official reviews and stuff. Can they go in then, because they never seemed to be penalised for it?
Finance spokesy + board member
Bout Management Committee - member
Bench manager for the All Star Reserves and Leithals

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 am

Uh, the rules are pretty clear cut:

6.2.4.1 - A penalized Skater’s teammates, managers, and coaches may not physically enter the designated Penalty Box Area to communicate with the penalized Skater at any time

However, the head ref may have asked them to clarify something? I'm not sure. I wasn't there so can't comment on what may or may not have happened, but it is not allowed, even during team timeouts etc.
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Legs11

Post by Legs11 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Katy - you probably saw them going to the edge of the penalty box area (outside of the taped bit) to speak to their skaters in the box - that's totally legal.
Some teams hold their time outs just outside this area so the boxed skater can also hear what new tactics strategy is being given.
You're also, I think, allowed to pass things to them into the box area (ie water if they're dehydrated) but always ask the NSO's before you do it to be sure.
Coach / WFTDA Director

[she/her]

Blind Io

Post by Blind Io » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:46 pm

During MEC bench managers frequently went right up to the edge of the penalty box, but didn't communicate while actually standing inside it.

Actually in the second game of Saturday a penalty *was* awarded to a Captain for an instance where the bench manager wasn't careful enough with their foot placement (shout-out to PBM Jane Eerie for handling that with ease).
Officials Co-Spokesey / WFTDA Certified Level 2 NSO / UKRDA Official

emKa

Post by emKa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:21 am

Yes, all that was said above - the team area line was a Penalty Box line on the scoreboard side, most of Bench Managers were just standing right next to it, but only the Quads bench stepped in, the rest of the communication was happening from the outside although it could look like they were in as the Penalty Box was really small :)
/skater/ coach / NSO / first aider/ ref /

[she/her]

Katy

Post by Katy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:15 pm

That was maybe it then, I didn't have my glasses on, but it was on the scoreboard side and I noticed it was one line marking both (ie no gap in between).

Is the Quads bench the one who was barefoot?

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

emKa

Post by emKa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Yes Katy! and she was very careful but did the one step too far at some point!
/skater/ coach / NSO / first aider/ ref /

[she/her]

Katy

Post by Katy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:54 pm

emKa wrote:Yes Katy! and she was very careful but did the one step too far at some point!
I think it was her I noticed doing it. Maybe I actually saw the one where she did overstep and then after that assumed she was always doing it. Apologies, Quads bench manager!!

Also, I did wonder about the bare feet thing, but have already had that explained.

Pukeahontas

Post by Pukeahontas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Katy, just out of interest, what did you have explained re being barefoot? I only ask because once a head ref made a friendly comment about me wearing flip flops and my response was to point to the other teams bench coach who was wearing 6inch heels and explain that I could definitely jump out of the way of wheels more quickly than her...(and of course that I accepted any accidental injury as my own fault)

All Star Reserves Bench Coach