Rule of the Week - Uniforms

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Rule of the Week - Uniforms

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Something a bit different from usual. Refs have been asked recently about what numbers are acceptable etc etc. so it seemed a good time to go over uniforms (particularly with home season just around the corner!)
2.7.1 - Each member of a respective team participating in a game must wear a uniform that clearly identifies that Skater as a member of their team.

2.7.1.1 - All uniforms must be in good repair and may not cause a hazard to other Skaters. All patches and numbers must be securely fastened to said uniform. Safety pins or tape are not permitted to attach or modify numbers to a uniform. Tape is allowed on helmets, pads, and jewelry; safety pins are never allowed.
You know that thing where skaters will hide bits of number with tape? Yeah, that's not actually allowed. This is why it's VERY important to make sure your number is correct - otherwise a HR could actually say you weren't allowed to play!
2.7.2 - The team Captain must visibly display a “C” on their uniform or arm. The team Captain’s Designated Alternate must visibly display an “A” on their clothing, uniform, or arm.

2.7.2.1 - If the Captain is not able to skate the remainder of the game due to expulsion, fouling out, injury, or emergency, the team has the option to name a new Captain.

2.7.2.1.1 - In the instances where the rules call for a Captain to serve a penalty, and a team has not designated a Captain, the team may designate a new Captain at that time. Only if the team refuses to designate a Captain, the Head Referee will select the Skater to be designated Captain for the remainder of the game and serve any applicable penalties.
You can name a new Captain - the alternate isn't "promoted" automatically. In fact, the refs might just make someone Captain if you won't pick one! However, the same rules don't apply to the alternate:
2.7.2.2 - A team may not select a new Designated Alternate (skating or non-skating) should the Designated Alternate be unable to skate, coach, or manage the remainder of the game.
In all honesty, I'm not sure why this is. Probably because you need to have a captain to receive penalties (sorry, Captains!), but alternates are nice but not necessary - there are no penalties awarded to the Alternate specifically (which is just as well, since most of them are bench coaches/line-up managers)
2.7.3 - Skater names on uniforms are optional.
I don't think I've ever seen a skater without their name on their uniform, but it's optional, not necessary. You're all just numbers and team colours to us officials ;)
2.7.4 - Each Skater participating in a game must visibly display their roster number on the back of their uniform.

2.7.4.1 - Each Skater's roster number must be unique with relation to their own team.

2.7.4.2 - All characters in the roster number must be at least 4 inches (10 cm) tall so that they are legible and large enough to be read by Officials who are positioned anywhere within the track or on its boundaries.

2.7.4.3 - A Skater’s roster number must be of a readable font. A number is of readable font if it can be easily read and distinguished from the other Skaters’ numbers by the Officials, other Skaters, and audience members.
What is a readable font? Basically use your sense here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most Officials are going to struggle with a font like this. Shiny, light coloured numbers are also going to be problematic if you have a light coloured shirt. If you find yourself going, 'hmmm...is this acceptable?' assume it's not and pick something else!
2.7.4.4 - A Skater’s roster number may contain up to four characters.

2.7.4.5 - A Skater’s roster number may include only Arabic numerals and Latin letters (uppercase or lowercase, but see Section 2.7.4.2), without accents: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

2.7.4.6 - A Skater’s roster number must have at least one digit. For example, L5 is an acceptable roster number, but LV is not.

2.7.4.7 - A Skater may have small characters preceding or following their roster number on their uniform (e.g., 55mph, where “mph” is considerably smaller than 55). These small characters are not considered part of the Skater’s roster number and they may not inhibit the legibility of the Skater’s roster number whatsoever. The maximum size for the small characters is 2 inches (5 cm).

2.7.4.8 - Skaters on the same team may not have identical roster numbers. For example, two Skaters may not both wear L5, but one may wear L5 and another may wear J5. (See also Section 2.7.4.2.)
'vanity' is still allowed, but cannot be IN your number. So you can be 314 or pi314 or 314pie but not 3.14! You also must have a distinct number from your team-mates - so even though you massively love Connie, you're not allowed 109. And your number must have a NUMBER! It can't just be letters :)
2.7.5 - Each Skater participating in a game must visibly display their roster number on each sleeve or arm. Roster numbers must be of high contrast and easily legible. Handwritten numbers on the arm are acceptable.
It's usually best to get someone else to write your number on your arm, so you meet the 'reasonably legible' requirement ;) Sparkly numbers on armbands are a nightmare, so avoid those. Nice high-contrast armbands are excellent (and don't rub off!).
2.7.5.1 - Roster numbers may be placed on the hip or thigh in addition to the arm/sleeve. Numbers on hips or thighs must match roster numbers.

2.7.5.2 - Roster numbers may be placed on the helmet in addition to the arm/sleeve. Numbers on helmets must match roster numbers.

2.7.5.3 - The minimum height for a Skater’s roster number on the arm/sleeve is 2 inches (5 cm).

2.7.5.4 - The maximum height for a Skater’s roster number on the arm/sleeve is 4 inches (10 cm).
Bet you didn't know there was a maximum size! That's mostly because 10cm is actually quite a large amount, so unless you have REALLY long arms, you're probably not ever going to have a 10cm/4 inch number! We don't count your helmet having an 'S1' logo on it as it could not reasonably be confused with your actual number :)

So now I know all your uniforms are going to be beautiful and legal! :refbanana:
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Sharlotte Fever

Re: Rule of the Week - Uniforms

Post by Sharlotte Fever » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Can I just double check, sorry it's probably me being stupid, so a skater can have S21 for example? I thought skaters we're going to be told that letters were going and only numbers are allowed. Or have I misunderstood?

Coach
Officials Committee

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Letters *are* going as per: https://wftda.com/news/rules-regarding- ... ember-2015

However it doesn't come into effect for another 6 months. You will still see skaters with letters until December, and even then non-WFTDA leagues can continue to use letters if they so desire :)

They have a funky wee image to show what the changes will be like in December: https://wftda.com/images/skater-numbers.png
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Evelyn Tent

Post by Evelyn Tent » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:06 pm

Isn't the four digit number also being removed in December too?
Secretarial
Trainee Zebra

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Nope, in fact the WFTDA graphic shows 4 digit numbers as still being acceptable.

Sharlotte Fever

Post by Sharlotte Fever » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm

So after December you could have a tiny letter?

Coach
Officials Committee

Evelyn Tent

Post by Evelyn Tent » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Sorry - I'll follow the link next time and not rely on my sleep-deprived brain's memory!
Secretarial
Trainee Zebra

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Sharlotte Fever wrote:So after December you could have a tiny letter?

Aye :)

Well, unless you're a ref:
8.4.3.2 - Number: If a Referee chooses to wear a number, that number must be a numeral of no more than four digits (i.e., it may not contain letters and symbols, regardless of their size).

Sharlotte Fever

Post by Sharlotte Fever » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 pm

But if a ref goes by a name and number they can have what they like in their number so letters/symbols are allowed?

9.4.3.2.1 - If a referee chooses to wear both a name and a number, there are not any restrictions on the number (i.e., it may contain letters and symbols). The referee’s name will be the identifying item.

Coach
Officials Committee

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Woah, that's a blast from the past.

Nope, those are the old rules and that rule was removed in March 2014: http://static.wftda.com/rules/wftda-rul ... detail.pdf

Sorry pal.