Rule of the Week - Skating Out of Bounds

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Rule of the Week - Skating Out of Bounds

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:58 pm

This is one that came up in practice on Friday, so I thought it'd be awesome fun to go over it together!

So why is skating out of bounds a penalty?
Skaters must remain in bounds. No part of the Skater’s skate(s) may touch the ground outside the track boundary. Skaters may not pick up momentum for a block until in bounds. Skaters may not use the out-of-bounds section of the track in order to decrease the distance needed to travel. Skaters may also not exit the track in order to avoid game play under their own power, even if due to poor judgement of speed.
Makes sense (hopefully!). Out of bounds is basically a 'no-go' zone, unless blocked out there or on your way to the penalty box!

Legal Play
5.12.1 - Maintaining or increasing speed while out of bounds in the outfield to travel to or from the Penalty Box.
Obviously you can skate to the penalty box!
5.12.2 - Exiting the track of one’s own accord in order to avoid an obstacle (e.g., spills, debris, or downed Skaters).

5.12.3 - Exiting the track as a result of receiving a block.

5.12.4 - Exiting the track as a result of executing a block, or missing a block.

5.12.5 - Exiting the track of one’s own accord as a result of injury.

5.12.6 - Exiting the track of one’s own accord to address an equipment malfunction.

5.12.7 - Exiting the track of one’s own accord to retrieve a helmet cover that is out of bounds (if allowed to do so; see Section 2.6 - Helmet Covers).
Lots of times when it's fine to leave the infield - notice that you're allowed to exit the track to avoid downed skaters! You can also leave to fix equipment problems or if you're injured.
5.12.8 - Cutting across the infield in order to legally re-enter the track behind an opponent (for example, one Jammer attempting to return to the track after the other Jammer has skated clockwise).
Be aware, this doesn't mean you can slam into refs/nsos while you do so! They still have right of way!

No Impact/No Penalty
5.12.9 - Intentionally adopting a straddling state, for any reason, so long as the Skater does not fully exit the track.
"Wait!" I hear you cry, "What is straddling?!". For this, I have drawn this handy graphic (I am not a graphic designer, and I did this in paint. It ain't pretty).

Make sense?
5.12.10 - Exiting the track due to the belief that one had reason to be out of bounds legally.

5.12.10.1 - Mistakenly exiting the track due to mishearing an Official’s instruction (e.g., a Skater thinking that they have been called on a penalty when in fact they were not).

5.12.10.2 - Exiting the track after a maneuver that the Skater believes brought them out of bounds (e.g., an apex jump).
Note: you have to have a reasonable belief that you have reason to be out of bounds legally - you can't claim you believed that an opponent had hit you out of bounds when they're 20 feet away!
5.12.11 - After a warning, exiting the track whilst out of play, as a result of an immediate attempt to return to the Engagement Zone, so long as this does not substantially cut the lap distance short.
In all honesty, I've never seen this happen and can't really think of a situation you could pull this off without cutting the lap distance short!
5.12.12 - Exiting the track at any point during the four jam-ending whistles.

5.12.13 - Exiting the track due to a loss of balance (even if the Skater remains upright). This Skater is still potentially subject to penalties under Section 5.11 - Cutting the Track.

5.12.14 - Exiting the track due to a failed apex jump. This Skater is still potentially subject to penalties under Section 5.11 - Cutting the Track.

5.12.15 - Being propelled fully out of bounds by a teammate. The out-of-bounds Skater is still potentially subject to pack destruction penalties.
Just because you are legally allowed to be off track, doesn't mean you're not subject to other penalties. Be aware!

Penalties
5.12.16 - Skating while out of bounds in a manner that significantly cuts the lap distance short. For example:

5.12.16.1 - Cutting across the infield on the way to the Penalty Box.

5.12.16.2 - Repeatedly cutting small amounts of the lap distance short, which together add up to a significant portion of lap distance having been cut short over the course of the game.
Note - 5.12.16.1 does not mean you can stand out the way on the infield before you exit the track to the penalty box (as some skaters do). However, it does mean you can't use the infield to decrease the amount of distance to the penalty box.
5.12.17 - Crossing the track while down, from the outfield to the infield.
This doesn't mean if a hit is so big that you slide that distance. This means, for example, being hit out in the outfield, then crawling back across the track to re-enter from the infield.
5.12.18 - Skating while out of bounds to maintain or increase speed. For example, performing a crossover while touching out of bounds.
Remember, this doesn't count for the penalty box :)
5.12.19 - A Skater fully exiting the track, perhaps straddling along the way, entirely under their own power (except where defined as legal or no-impact, above), including while down.

5.12.19.1 - A Skater who returns from the outfield to the track and misjudges their speed, causing them to exit the track on the infield, has left the track entirely under their own power.

5.12.19.2 - A Skater who fully exits the track in order to avoid receiving a block is considered to be exiting the track entirely under their own power.
Hopefully these all make sense, but please let me know!

So, skating out of bounds. Make sense?
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

emKa

Re: Rule of the Week - Skating Out of Bounds

Post by emKa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Very clear graphic thingy. Very neat. No space for mistakes :)
/skater/ coach / NSO / first aider/ ref /

[she/her]

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:12 pm

This is really clear thanks pal! I always get confused as to what being on the line counts as so your very beautiful graphic made that clear! Xx

TaP- Co-Spokesy
Coach
First Aider

Cherry Bomber

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:20 pm

It's based on one I saw on Zebra Huddle (I think). But I redrew it so I wasn't stealing anyone else's.
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Pummela

Post by Pummela » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am

I got a skating out of bounds penalty on Friday which I'm confused about so wanted to ask. I'd got hit as a jammer and fell over. I ended up straddling and was called for skating out of bounds. I thought you had to be physically standing up to get this penalty? I was actually lying half on the track, half off when it was called.
FunCom
Cherry Bomber

Just keep pumming...

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:50 am

Honestly, yes, you have to be standing to receive this penalty. However, this could have been a delayed penalty (eg you were actually SOOB earlier, but didn't realise it, but the call only came after you fell) or something of that nature.

I wasn't there, but please always feel free to ask us *why* you got a penalty! (I don't mean "THAT WASN'T A CUT", I mean more, "I'm not sure why I got a cut, can you explain?".). The 30s between each jam is a perfect time to ask questions and to keep us on our toes :)

Tartan_Tearaway

Post by Tartan_Tearaway » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I love these rules posts. Thanks :refbanana:
Bout Management (stall coordinator) and First Aid Committee

I'm build for comfort, I aint built for speed