Rule of the Week - FREE FOR ALL

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Re: Rule of the Week - FREE FOR ALL

Post by Mags Payne » Sat May 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Nope! Once you remove the helmet cover, you LOSE lead jammer:
2.4.8 - Once a Jammer has been declared Lead Jammer, Lead Jammer status is retained for the duration of the jam unless the status is forfeited. Lead Jammer status (if obtained), and the ability to become Lead Jammer are forfeited by:

2.4.8.1 - The Jammer removing the helmet cover for any reason.
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Hex

Post by Hex » Sat May 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Thats so obvious now, doh! thanks :D
Communications / Secretarial member / Skatefast Club

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sat May 16, 2015 3:08 pm

It's ok! Sometimes things aren't obvious and it's best to know things for SURE than to assume :)

Also, officials love rules chat :D
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

emKa

Post by emKa » Sat May 16, 2015 3:10 pm

lets dig deeper - what if other skater manages to pull the pantie off the lead jammer's helmet and the jammer will recover it - what about the lead jammer status? :) (because I love to ask ALL the questions!)
/skater/ coach / NSO / first aider/ ref /

[she/her]

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sat May 16, 2015 3:58 pm

2.4.2.3 - If the Jammer helmet cover is removed by an opponent’s action or through the course of natural game play, the Jammer may replace the helmet cover to regain eligibility for Lead Jammer
So it's not unfair :D

BA Humbug

Post by BA Humbug » Sat May 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Mags Payne wrote:Basically, no packs don't affect where you can re-enter. All you need to think about are your out of plays, out of bounds and downed skaters

Does that help?
Yes, thanks (and what I thought but my wee brain just couldn't remember).

Next question:
So last night I got sent to the bin for an illegal star pass (took me a while to figure out it was because I was hit off track when Teapot past the panty to me). I dropped the panty on the apex as I left the track but while I was sitting in the bin I'm sure I saw a blocker for the opposite team pick it up & throw it away from the center of the track. If this did happen (and maybe I didn't see it right) would that player normally get a penalty? I know they can block the jammer when they are trying to picking it up but I didn't think they were physically allowed to touch it?

New skaters, Leaving skaters references, Dual membership co-ordinator, Membership changes & transferring skaters
ASR Bench

(She/her)

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sat May 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Interestingly, this isn't covered by the rules.

So REF DISCRETION TIME.

For me, it would depend on what the skater *did*. So if she just moved it off track/to the ref lane while the jammer was on the other side of the track/in the bin, then I'm gonna let it slide. It's more of a safety thing at that point.

HOWEVER, if the jammer is nearby or she is intentionally thowing it somewhere awkward/away from the jammer, I'm gonna assess a Star Pass Violation: 5.13.16 - Preventing a Star Pass via any means other than legal blocking.

Your Mileage May Vary/Refs will call this differently/depends on the events. Basically. At the time, we judged that she was throwing it off track to prevent a hazard and the jammer was no where near the panty, so she was not preventing a star pass.

Does that make sense? This is a bit of an awkward one :)

BA Humbug

Post by BA Humbug » Sat May 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Yeh, that's great and it helps clarify things in my head. Thanks

New skaters, Leaving skaters references, Dual membership co-ordinator, Membership changes & transferring skaters
ASR Bench

(She/her)