Rule of the Week - Star Passes

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Rule of the Week - Star Passes

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Ah yes, star passes. Useful tactically, but really easy to mess up.
A Jammer may transfer their position (i.e., the status of being the Jammer, or "Jammer Status") to their team’s Pivot, allowing said Pivot to become the point-scoring Skater for their team for the remainder of the jam. This is commonly referred to as “Passing the Star.” Only the position of Jammer, and not the status of Lead Jammer, may be transferred to the Pivot. A Pivot-turned-Jammer can score points, but cannot gain Lead Jammer status.
Remember lead jammer status can not be gained or given with a star pass. Even if NO-ONE has obtained lead, the moment a pivot becomes a jammer, that team is no longer eligible for lead jammer for the rest of that jam.
2.5.1 - Pass Procedure: In order to transfer Jammer Status to the Pivot, a Jammer must hand their helmet cover (the “Star”) to the Pivot. (Removing the Star will make the Jammer inactive) The Pivot must be grasping the Star when the Jammer releases it. Upon the Jammer releasing the Star, Jammer Status has been transferred: the Pivot will be considered the Jammer, and the prior Jammer will be considered a Blocker. They retain these new roles until the end of the jam.
You can't throw the cover, or snatch it off the jammer's head. The star pass is COMPLETE when the pivot is holding the star.
2.5.1.1 - Jammer Status may only be transferred by a Jammer who releases the Star while in the Engagement Zone, to a Pivot who is also within the Engagement Zone. It is illegal to transfer the Star while either the Jammer or Pivot is outside of the Engagement Zone, down, or out of bounds. This applies only to the moment of transfer (i.e., the Jammer’s release of the Star into the grasping Pivot’s hand).
So, the jammer can take off the helmet cover when she's down. But she has to be upright and in-bounds and in-play to legally pass it to the pivot. Likewise, the pivot must be upright and in-bounds and in-play to receive the panty, but she can put it on while out of bounds or down (she's an inactive jammer, so technically can't be out of play).
2.5.1.2 - All rules regarding inactive Jammers apply. The initial Jammer is inactive as soon as they have removed the Star, and the Pivot-turned-Jammer is inactive until they have put the Star on with the stars visible.
The moment the helmet cover is off, the jammer is an 'inactive jammer' (they can't score points or earn lead, other than that they are the same as a normal jammer). Once it's passed to the pivot, the pivot becomes an 'inactive jammer' and the former jammer becomes a blocker. The pivot-turned-jammer is then able to score once they put on the helmet cover.
2.5.1.3 - Jammer Status may not be transferred by handing off the Star via other Skaters, or throwing or dropping the Star.

2.5.1.4 - Jammers may not pass the Star while en route to or in the Penalty Box.

2.5.1.4.1 - Jammer may pass the Star upon returning to play from the Penalty Box.

2.5.1.5 - Jammers may not pass the Star to a Pivot who has been directed to or is in queue for the Penalty Box.
Remember from our week on penalty box procedures - if you are on the way to the box, or in the queue, you count as being 'in the box'. So no star passes allowed! You also can't pass it via others and if you drop the star the pivot can't pick it up and become the jammer (see below for incomplete star passes).
2.5.2 - If the Star is passed illegally, Jammer Status is not transferred, even if the Pivot has sole possession of the Star. Both Skaters retain their original status, and the initiator of the pass is penalized accordingly.
Illegal procedure! If you chuck the star at your pivot, you're going to get a penalty. And your bench coach will yell at you. Bear in mind, if the pivot has the star and the jammer goes to the bin, the jammer is inactive till she has those stars on her head again!
2.5.3 - A Star Pass may be blocked by the opposing team by any means of legal blocking.
LEGAL BLOCKING. Important caveat here! But you can get all up in the jammer's face (not literally, do not high block), or keep the pivot away from the jammer.
2.5.4 - Incomplete Star Passes and Recovery: If the Star falls to the ground for any reason or is removed from play by any means, it may only be recovered by the Jammer or Pivot.

2.5.4.1 - If the Pivot recovers the Star in this manner, it does not transfer Jammer Status. As such, the Pivot may not place it on their own helmet. Doing so will be considered illegal initiation of a Star Pass. The Pivot may return it to the inactive Jammer via a hand-off, throwing, or dropping, but not via other Skaters.

2.5.4.2 - When the inactive Jammer is once again grasping the Star, said Jammer may immediately release it back into possession of the Pivot, so long as the other requirements of Section 2.5.1 - Pass Procedure are met. Such an action constitutes a valid transfer of Jammer Status.

2.5.4.3 - If a Star Pass cannot be completed for any reason, the Jammer may return the Star to their own helmet and regain active Jammer Status.
This should be fairly clear. 2.5.4.2 is a nice wee loophole that a lot of folk don't know - if you're a pivot passing the star back to the jammer, she can grab then IMMEDIATELY release without you releasing it to her and the star pass is then legally complete! Nice. Also if it's all going horriby wrong, the jammer can put the helmet cover back on and then be an active jammer again. Hooray!
2.5.5 - A Pivot who has just become the Jammer is now subject to all rules per Section 7 - Scoring. The Pivot picks up where the previous Jammer left off (i.e., on the same pass, having scored points on the same Blockers during that pass).
If the jammer has already scored on two blockers (Kiki and Die, for example) and then passes the star, the pivot-turned-jammer now has to score on the other two blockers (Connie and Attack) but has still 'passed' Kiki and Die.

Hopefully this all makes sense. People tend to get confused with star passes, and it's easy for them to go wrong!

:refbanana: :refbanana:
Last edited by Mags Payne on Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Katy

Re: [WFTDA] Star-Passes

Post by Katy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:16 pm

I've been involved with games where a skater is passed the star and then gets lead. If I was bench, what should I do about contesting this?
Finance spokesy + board member
Bout Management Committee - member
Bench manager for the All Star Reserves and Leithals

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:24 pm

That's a definite Official Review situation! I'd ask for an Official Review immediately once the jam finishes. However, I'd also say that if you're out of official reviews, it might also be worth mentioning to the Head Ref - they might take note of it even if you have no ORs left (especially if they weren't aware that it happened!)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Princess Die

Post by Princess Die » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:27 pm

I have a question!

Okay so lets say I'm the pivot and my jammer tells me she wants to pass the star. She is trying to get the star hat off her head but she's being actively blocked and she cannae. How much interaction can I as the pivot have with the star hat? None at all? Or can I 'help' her get it off her hat? If she's obviosuly trying to get the star hat off, can I then take it off and go for it, or do I absolutely have to wait until she's taken it off and handed it to me?
Spokesy for Communications Committee // Bootcamps // Coach // First Aid // Captain of the ASTROS

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:33 pm

That's an excellent question Die!

This would probably come down to referee discretion. For me, personally, if a jammer is visibly wrestling with the star and has her hand on the panty when the pivot grabs it, I'm going to say that it's a legal star pass. I've also heard that from some exceptionally high level refs, but it would really depend on how your jammer ref interprets 'handing the star' to the pivot. It may be something to get your captain to confirm in the captain's meeting, just so you can be aware how the crew is going to interpret that :)

Ciderella

Post by Ciderella » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:33 am

as mags said it totally depends on the refs -

from a skater experience point of view i've picked up a penalty before as the ref interpreted that a star pass between myself (as pivot) and the jammer was illegal due to my action of taking the panty being more that i grabbed it from her hand than her 'handing it to me'. hurrrrrrrrrrrr.
Training and progression, coach, mercy, ukrda rep

BA Humbug

Re: Rule of the Week - Star Passes

Post by BA Humbug » Fri May 22, 2015 11:50 pm

When the star pass goes wrong!
Here's an example of the blockers preventing the pivot turned jammer from picking up the panty after they've dropped it.
Master Blaster puts the panty on, then it falls off (but she doesn't realise until she's done a lap) and Helsinki blocker her from getting it (she ends up on her knees with her hands between the blockers legs to get it back!). One of the most amusing things I've seen in derby :lol:

http://wftda.tv/2014-wftda-european-tournament/

Day 3, star pass starts from about 3hrs 45 mins 50 secs (Period 2, Jam 19). Keep your eye on the Helsinki blockers on the far side of the track or you'll miss it (unfortunately the filming is concentrated mainly on the Berlin wall)

New skaters, Leaving skaters references, Dual membership co-ordinator, Membership changes & transferring skaters
ASR Bench

(She/her)

emKa

Re: Rule of the Week - Star Passes

Post by emKa » Sat May 23, 2015 8:09 am

just these Ba :gbanana: :gbanana: :gbanana: :gbanana: :gbanana: !!!
/skater/ coach / NSO / first aider/ ref /

[she/her]