Rules question? Ask a ref.

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Simply the Beast

Re: Rules question? Ask a ref.

Post by Simply the Beast » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:01 pm

SO- a blocker has just chased a jammer out of the pack and then hits them off track and they both fall down...

The blocker gets up ready to start blocking the jammer again-

Can the jammer skate forward while off track to jump back on in front of the blocker, or do they just have to get back on track more or less where they fell off?... both humans are within 20 feet of the pack.

THANK YOU

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:05 pm

They can re-enter in front of the blocker (initiator has gone down and cannot regain superior position), but they can't skate loads up the track to do so.

Basically, you can return to track, but if you start just skating further forward for any amount of distance, you're going to get a skating out of bounds penalty.
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Simply the Beast

Post by Simply the Beast » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm

You tha best :msnparty:

Tink

Post by Tink » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Theres a fairly good chance that if you went too far forward, you would end up cutting on another player anyway!

UKRDA Rep (Head of Merch)

The victorious Leithals Weapons Vice-Captain

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:17 pm

Simply the Beast wrote:You tha best :msnparty:
You da Beast ;)

The penalty you'd fall under would be:

5.12.18 - Skating while out of bounds to maintain or increase speed. For example, performing a crossover while touching out of bounds.

Re-entering the track doesn't count for that, but if you're gonna skate allt he way up the straight to race someone onto track, you're probably going to get a penalty ;)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Katy

Post by Katy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Thread revival achieved.
Finance spokesy + board member
Bout Management Committee - member
Bench manager for the All Star Reserves and Leithals

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Good lass, I'll buy you a beer ;)

Lannthrax

Post by Lannthrax » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:47 pm

Mags,

In a situation where a jammer is on the inside line, hops along the line and the JR approves that they are in bounds (with that ref shake of head thing) and then signals Lead. Can an OPR who did not have a great view of the action then over rule the call and send said jammer to the bin on a cut track.
I Like Turtles
S&A
General weird girl.
Seller of adverts and souls

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Lannthrax wrote:Mags,

In a situation where a jammer is on the inside line, hops along the line and the JR approves that they are in bounds (with that ref shake of head thing) and then signals Lead. Can an OPR who did not have a great view of the action then over rule the call and send said jammer to the bin on a cut track.
The OPR should probably not be calling a penalty in that situation unless:

[*]They saw something that JR couldn't have (and they can be sure the JR didn't see it)
[*]The JR is inexperienced and the OPR is more experienced and knows something happened that should have been called.
[*]The OPR wants a bollocking from their head ref ;)

I can see a couple of reasons why you'd call that - but if you are sure the JR is in the best position, then they should be the one making the call if it needs made.

It can happen that this is the right play to make. But it'd have to be a very certain scenario.

Lannthrax

Post by Lannthrax » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Thank you for your reply :D you never let me down. The reason I'm asking is because I was at the MCRD games last weekend and there was a huge host of things happening by the refs (understandably they were relatively new) but the more experienced refs weren't taking the moment to correct or explain things.
I really wish there were more refs like yourself who don't see a skater questioning your call as a manner of disrespect but see it as the skater trying to Learn. I'm really happy that you have created a safe space within ARRG for such discussion.
NOW, how do we get this Ref ethos out there into the world? Haha.

X
I Like Turtles
S&A
General weird girl.
Seller of adverts and souls