Rules question? Ask a ref.

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Mags Payne

Re: Rules question? Ask a ref.

Post by Mags Payne » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:12 pm

You can always ask for the team area to be made bigger if you feel it's too small. HR can say no though!

No one's going to mind you stepping out slightly. Sadly there are far too many LUM/BCs who will stray right into the OPR lane. I've had to yell at one to get back before THREE TIMES since I nearly collided with them...
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Katy

Post by Katy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks Mags.

I just wondered, because there are some people who are quite rude when they are benching (no names), particularly to the refs. I understand passion and being firm and direct, but do you really need to be a dick?
Finance spokesy + board member
Bout Management Committee - member
Bench manager for the All Star Reserves and Leithals

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Okay so false starts - do you have to skate the wrong way and rejoin at the back of the pack or can you just stay still and let everyone else go past you? (This rule confuses me more than most others.)

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi!
3.2.8 - Skaters who line up fully in bounds but in an illegal starting position (while touching their legal starting area) are considered to have committed a False Start, and will receive a False Start warning. Once warned, Skaters who False Start must cease all forward motion until they have yielded to all Skaters in the immediate vicinity by ceding relative position to those Skaters, or they may be issued a penalty (see Section 5.13.7).

3.2.8.1 - If, after the warning, no Skaters are in immediate vicinity of a Skater who has false started (in the clockwise direction), the false-starting Skater must come to a complete stop in order to yield. After yielding, they may skate normally.

3.2.8.2 - If a false-starting Skater attempts to cede relative position (by coming to a stop), but no other Skaters make an attempt to take back said advantage, the false-starting Skater is no longer required to yield.

3.2.8.3 - Prior to yielding, a Blocker who has false started is not considered part of the pack.

3.2.8.4 - Prior to yielding, any Skaters passed by a false-starting Jammer do not count toward earning Lead Jammer status.
So basically, if there are skaters near you, you slow/stop and allow them to pass you (you yield your advantage). If there are no skaters near you, you still have to stop to yield the *advantage*. This includes jammers.

Skating back around to the front of the pack is an old rule :)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Katy

Post by Katy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:15 pm

In order to yield can you come off track?

I think sometimes skaters get freaked out when a ref shouts on them that they think they need to actually do something, they don't realise that they can just stop dead.

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:28 pm

They *shouldn't* take themselves off of track, but if they do, we'll normally just signal for them to return to track (complete with hand signal/verbal cue). As long as the skater doesn't cut (it's up to them to make sure they don't!) we'll generally assume all advantage has been yielded :)

Basically - don't do it, but it's ok if you do :)

Katy

Post by Katy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:01 pm

What is the protocol if a ref feels a skater is a danger on the track?

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:28 pm

Honestly - it depends.

If they're dangerous as in habitually falling in front of others? There's a rule for that:
5.3.12 - A Skater who habitually falls in front of opponents, causing them to stumble, fall or lose relative position, even if the Skater “falls small.” The intent is to penalize a Skater who repeatedly falls as the Skater is a danger to opponents. A single Skater who repeatedly low blocks opponents, even when “falling small” is adversely affecting game play and safety.
A lot of what we'd think was dangerous (throwing elbows or whatever) is covered by the expulsion categories.

Hell, we've even got:
5.16.26 - Serious physical violence or any action deemed by the Officials to cause an extraordinary physical threat.
So we can do things, but it depends on what you mean by dangerous :)

Katy

Post by Katy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:16 am

Reviving this thread to ask a question I should probably know the answer to...

Does a ref HAVE to be on skates? I know that they can be on inlines instead of quads, but is there anything that says they must be on skates and not just in trainers running?

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:32 am

8.1.1.1 - All referees must be on skates.
8.1.1 - Each game will have no fewer than three skating Referees and no more than seven Referees total. A full staff of seven Referees is strongly encouraged. It is also strongly encouraged for at least one Referee to be WFTDA Certified.

8.1.1.1 - All Referees must be on skates.

8.1.1.2 - No more than four Referees will be positioned inside the track.
We can wear inlines though.