Rules question? Ask a ref.

Rules of Derby (according to WFTDA) ask our all-knowing officials whatever you like.
Kirds-n-Slay

Rules question? Ask a ref.

Post by Kirds-n-Slay » Wed May 28, 2014 8:47 am

Hey all,

I want to resurrect this section so if you have a rules question, big or small ask away and a ref will get back to you.

There are no silly questions so don't worry about that.

:D

Kirds
Referee
Co-spokesperson Officials committee

Denominator

Re: Rules question? Ask a ref.

Post by Denominator » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 pm

*bump*
Just a wee reminder to everyone that the Officials are here to help with any rules questions you might have.

Don't feel that any question is too 'daft' or too 'easy'. Chances are if you're wondering about something, someone else is too!

:refbanana: :refbanana: :coo:
Denominator 1/x
Officials Committee member and Rules Assessment Co-ordinator
I like cereal

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:05 am

Hello!

If you are a blocker in the bin, the opposing jammer gets your point once they have passed someone right?

But, what if you have been released from the bin but you haven't yet stepped on the track- do they still get your point?

TaP- Co-Spokesy
Coach
First Aider

Cherry Bomber

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi Teenster!

This is all in section 7 of the rules (The stuff to do with scoring):

7.2.1.1 - The Jammer earns a point for each opponent who is not on the track immediately upon scoring the first point on any opposing Blocker in each scoring pass, including those opposing Blockers who are still physically on the track but have been directed to the Penalty Box...

examples that apply to this situation:

7.2.1.1.5 - Opponents who have returned from the Penalty Box behind the Jammer.

7.2.1.2 - Standard scoring rules and requirements apply to opponents returning from the Penalty Box who skate ahead of the Jammer before the Jammer is able to earn their first point in that scoring pass.

So, if the blocker is re-entering *behind* the jammer, then she'll pick up the point as soon as she passes someone. If the blocker gets back from the box in front of the jammer, then all the normal rules (including out-of-play scoring) kick in :)

Does this make sense?
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Good? Bad? I'm the girl with the whistle.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 pm

But what if she doesn't go back on the track at all and then the jam ends?

TaP- Co-Spokesy
Coach
First Aider

Cherry Bomber

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:53 pm

That's here:

The Jammer earns a point for each opponent who is not on the track immediately upon scoring the first point on any opposing Blocker in each scoring pass,

So if they stay off track, the point is immediately awarded as soon as the jammer scores on another blocker :)
Head Referee, WFTDA Officials rep, WFTDA Rules Committee Member, MRDA Recognised Official.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Ok thanks pal x

TaP- Co-Spokesy
Coach
First Aider

Cherry Bomber

Pummela

Post by Pummela » Fri May 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Question.

When in the sin bin, am I allowed to talk to the NSOs there? i find myself asking them questions but am never quite sure whether that's allowed. If it's not, I will stop.

FunCom
Cherry Bomber

Just keep pumming...

Mags Payne

Post by Mags Payne » Fri May 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Yup, you can talk to them. But be aware that they might not be able to pay too much attention to you cause they're doing a job! But asking them how much time you've got left and such is fine :)

Pummela

Post by Pummela » Fri May 15, 2015 12:56 pm

That's cool, thanks Mags. The rules of the week are really helpful, have learned lots from them and even been surprised at some stuff so, thanks! I don't tend to get into full blown conversations with the NSOs :lol: Sometimes I say hi when I arrive :) Good to know I can ask a question though :D
FunCom
Cherry Bomber

Just keep pumming...