Start as I mean to go on

Feel free to talk everything new member related here - newbies, this is your space!
Katy

Start as I mean to go on

Post by Katy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 am

I really want to get through FM this time and get closer to bouting.

However, one area that I really fall down in is my nutrition. I've never had to eat for sport before. It's either been eating normally or eating for weight loss, which I understand isn't the same as eating for sport.

I was just wondering if anyone had any good links, hints, tips or even diet plans they can share to point me in the right direction?

If it helps, I'm a cheese-loving omnivore!!
Finance spokesy + board member
Bout Management Committee - member
Bench manager for the All Star Reserves and Leithals

Did you know I always wanted to be a dancer in Vegas? ~ From the movie that gave me my derby name

Legs11

Re: Start as I mean to go on

Post by Legs11 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 am

There will be loads of people who can advise you sensibly I'm sure!

For my part it's just yeah - you do have to eat right for the energy you need at practices - i found it hard to find the right *amount* as well as type of food to not make me feel sick/too full/too weak at practices. But now I basically survive on chicken breasts and beans haha probablly not the best. I think small amounts before & after pracco suit me - but you'll need to work out what suits you. Sometimes if it's a long 3-6 hour practice sesh I eat an apple/banana half way through - not sure if this is bad :shock:

I also find protein shakes do fill you up great - so I use some good quality protein powder, and I chuck in a blender with some ice, skimmed milk, a banana, a little natural peanut butter and whatever else you fancy - soya related products etc.

The best and most refreshing thing to eat straight after practice is pineapple - fact. Hence my panicked face when I losty my pineapple on Sunday Connie ahaha

xx
Coach / WFTDA Director

[she/her]

ZILLAH

Post by ZILLAH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:44 am

I just try to eat a mix of good healthy food (spinach/veg/fruit smoothies and these types of things) and good proteins (I like to eat healthy fish and prawns).
You could try to download the insanity workout as it comes with a full nutritional program as well. But it is more dedicated to losing fat and gaining lean muscle. and you have to follow it religiously.
Something that works for me is a recovery formula that you can get from the health food stores like holland and barrat. I take it after every practice and it stops your muscles from getting sore and helps your muscles recover much quicker than if you didn't take it because it is so full of vitamins/minerals/carbs/protein which you need replenished after an intense workout.
Drink lots of water, don't eat the chippy or take-aways, don't drink too much and eat better.
In saying all that though, there will be other people here that do things properly and will have much better technical knowledge than I.

x
YOU HAVE MY HEART

Legs11

Post by Legs11 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:48 am

Alos Red Bull type drinks & Sugary sweets won't give you any help so just don't bother with them ever. Red Bull once rotted a hole in my pals carpet mat when she spilt some in her car so imagine what it does to your stomach.
:scots:
Coach / WFTDA Director

[she/her]

LL Cool Gay

Post by LL Cool Gay » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 am

There is a little science behind Crazy's pineapple panic too. There is an enzyme in pineapple that is good for meat tendorising (ha) and this lends itself well to muscle recovery :gbanana:

You do need to eat enough before practice and then after I think there's a two hour window to get the protein in for it to be most effective! Milk is awesome for this. I make protein shakes with milk, raw egg (optional, not everyone is as weird as me), fruit and oats. I love it but it's not for everyone.

On non-practice days I would eat sensibly, plenty of water :gbanana:

OH and when I stopped drinking I noticed a massive effect on my skating and fitness!
spokesey of New Skaters Committee

Lilo and Stitches

Post by Lilo and Stitches » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:57 am

Oooh recovery formula sounds FANCY.

I try and eat something carby before practice but basically since i have starting trying to train properly for derby all i ever want to is eggs, avocados, mozarella and chicken in various combos.
The recommendations i have heard are – carbs before exercise, something like fruit is great is you have a long practice (three hours) to perk you up in the middle. Sometimes i bring fruit juice and that really helps.

I am terrified of protein shakes because i am convinced i will hulk out if i drink one ( slightly ridiculous but this is coming from the person who assumed they would grow terrifying biceps if they picked up a dumbell haha) so i drink chocolate milk after practice!
Coach/Design

[she/her]

Dee Dee

Post by Dee Dee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Chocolate milk for me too.
Communications [All the facebook], All Stars LUM, Coach, Sponsorship member, Lots of random other things

Legs11

Post by Legs11 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Sticthes - wierdly I've lost weight since starting on protein shakes - I guess it's because I'm not as hungry for food?

Also those Alpro soya choco milkshakes are amazing.
Coach / WFTDA Director

[she/her]

I P Freely

Post by I P Freely » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 pm

I am about to complete my HND in Nutrition and I work as a chef, so if you genuinely want a food plan I can do one for you, but I'd need some more info. It would actually be good for me as I need 2 more case studies to complete my course.

Generally speaking, you being a cheese lover, save the cheese for after practice, as it contains reasonable protein for recovery. consuming dairy before engaging in sport can cause you to get a bit phlegmy. YUM.

An ideal small meal to have before a practice would be a baby potato and greens salad, with some nuts or seeds if you like. This should be completed AND washed down with water or juice an hour before practice. After practice, some oily fish or lean meat and seasonal veg would help in recovery and refuelling you. Again, this protein would need to be consumed within 60 mins of practice in order for your body to make optimum use of it.

When a person starts to excercise and eat healthily, the body will crave things it needs. The more varied you make your diet the more you will you will understand what you need and when, and the more you will enjoy the food you eat.

This is a heavily edited version of the ESSAY I just wrote.
LEITHAL

ZILLAH

Post by ZILLAH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 pm

i live on those cocoa soy milk drinks. yum yum.
I was totally scared when i bought the recovery formula /protein drinks because i only associate it with body builders ew.
It tells me to take 3 scoops. I only take one scoop and it works great.
and it helps replenish your damaged muscles after practice (but i take it before a game too). I mentioned it somewhere but they say your muscles are like a dried up sponge after a hard workout. and the recovery formula is like dousing water on it to go all nice and squishy again.
apparently hugh jackman ate steamed chicken and broccoli for 3 months getting built up for wolverine. he might have eaten other things too though.
the craving thing is interesting too. i recently went thru a period of craving rice constantly and i ate it like every day for weeks.

x
YOU HAVE MY HEART