Question about Freshmeat

Wanna get hold of someone at ARRG or ask us a question? Do it here.
MaliceinRollerland

Question about Freshmeat

Post by MaliceinRollerland » Fri May 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Heya!
My boyfriend is really interested in becoming a roller derby ref, but he doesn't know how to skate. Does ARRG freshmeat training teach people how to skate or is that something they need to learn before attending? Also, does ARRG train refs?

Thank you so much!!
Love,
Malice in Rollerland

Deep Fried Pixxie

Re: Question about Freshmeat

Post by Deep Fried Pixxie » Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Well I knew jack shit about skating before I started and now I can like....not fall over, so yeah they teach you.

Also my bf was at Fresh meat last week cause he's training to be a ref so yeah they do it, but I think they have to go through fresh meat like everyone else :)
Makeup and stickers and ponies and myspace.com.

Harrison Floored

Post by Harrison Floored » Fri May 06, 2011 8:35 pm

As Pixxie says I am a guy who cannot skate and wants to be a ref they teach you it all!

Just make him aware if he wants to hang out with a guy at fresh meat he's not got much choice.

It's awesome!!! :refbanana:
Head of the Refs & WTFDA Ref Rep

"Harrison is the most impartial person I know as he hates everyone and everything."

MaliceinRollerland

Post by MaliceinRollerland » Fri May 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Awesome!!! Thank you so much!!! =D We'll stop by tomorrow to say hello and get more info about gear for him, etc.

MaliceinRollerland

Post by MaliceinRollerland » Fri May 06, 2011 9:19 pm

oops, i mean sunday

Switchblade Jade

Post by Switchblade Jade » Sat May 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey Malice,

If he wants to join, he'll have to email everyone@newskaters.arrg.co.uk to be put onto the waiting list for the next fresh meat. We also ask that people coming to fresh meat have all their own kit now too.

The refs in training go through fresh meat 16 week program like everyone else, so that they can skate well and safely, but our ref crew will use their discretion to also have him NSO or offskates ref at bout nights to get practice, once he's further into the program.

xx
Rock n' Rollerskates